Alex Ferreira received his black belt under Adimilson Brites “Juquinha”, Royler Gracie and Rolker Gracie. Alex is revered as one of the pioneers of Jiu Jitsu in Peru and is the founder of Gracie-Peru Academy, the first Jiu Jitsu school in Peru.
Alex was born and raised in Brasilia, Brazil, having started his martial arts training through karate at the age of 7 years old. Alex also added kickboxing, capoeira and MMA to his knowledge in his later stage. In 1996, through a friend, Alex discovered Jiu Jitsu. Immediately Alex was convinced Jiu Jitsu was the most effective of all the martial arts, and grappling became his passion.
Alex moved to Peru in 2002. He is considered one of the Jiu Jitsu trailblazers in that region, having been an important catalyst for the expansion of Jiu Jitsu, where he founded Gracie-Peru Academy, the first Jiu Jitsu school in that country. For several years Alex taught Jiu Jitsu, self-defense and MMA in Peru until he migrated to the US.
Alex settled in the US in 2008 and began teaching Jiu Jitsu and MMA in the San Francisco Bay Area. Currently, Alex teaches Jiu-Jitsu, Gracie self defense and MMA in Livermore and Tracy, CA. His professionalism as an athlete, passion for Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and mixed martial arts coupled with his friendly demeanor allow his students to be at ease in learning while still feeling challenged. Because he greets students and gives them individual attention, the class often provides a “family” atmosphere.
Alex also still competes when possible and welcomes new challenges. On a personal note, Alex feels Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu has made him a better person by teaching him confidence, patience, and respect. As an instructor, he aims to pass on those invaluable qualities to his students.
- 3rd Degree Black Belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
- 18+ Years of Teaching Experience in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Self-defense and Grappling
- 12 Years of Teaching Experience in Mixed Martial Arts
- Fluent in English, Portuguese, and Spanish
- Founder and Director of Gracie-Peru Academy (www.gracieperu.com)
- Official Referee for CBJJ-IBJJF International Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Federation
- Skilled in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Self-defense, Mixed Martial Arts (MMA), Kickboxing, Capoeira and Karate
- Taught self-defense to USA Special Forces